[haiku-development] Re: Future Haiku Features

  • From: PulkoMandy <pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2009 00:47:38 +0200

> Most modern motherboards still support floppy drives...

But I only have a laptop computer :)

> Don't most BIOS' emulate legacy floppy when a USB floppy drive is
> attached? Or, does this not matter?

They allow sector-based access trough BIOS routines. We can't use BIOS
calls except at early boot stages, and this does not allow things like
formatting a disk. To do that you have to use a very different command
set. USB Floppy is a variation on usb mass storage, while for a real
floppy drive you have to send commands to the FDC chip (floppy disk
controller).

--
Adrien Destugues / PulkoMandy
Elève ingénieur ENSSAT EII1- www.enssat.fr