[haiku-development] Re: Friendlier Optional Package installation

  • From: "Ingo Weinhold" <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 09 Jun 2011 17:34:13 +0200

Axel Dörfler wrote:
> Ryan Leavengood<leavengood@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Actually I have an idea. Who in the C++ camp will take on the
> > challenge of making a C++ package selector while the HTML camp make
> > one with Pete's method?

[...]
> Oh, and if you want to write a software for the real package management, you
> would also need to access its C++ based API.

I think that's the main point speaking against this approach. The package
management application will need to be a lot more than a "package selector".
Sure, that can all be tunneled through a HTTP connection, but I find this a
rather weird approach, since one is just moving work from putting some love
into a native GUI to the HTTP communication.

BTW I'm utterly surprised about this approach coming up in the first place. I
recall heated discussions about how suboptimal ported applications and toolkits
are in comparison with native ones. While personally I don't really have
problems with a well-integrated toolkit, moving an application into the browser
does seem like a change for the worse even to me.

CU, Ingo