[haiku-development] Re: Friendlier Optional Package installation

  • From: André Braga <meianoite@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2011 14:00:53 -0300

Em 10/06/2011, às 11:49, Gabriele Biffi <mlist@xxxxxxxxx> escreveu:
> I like Haiku because it's closer to the hardware than any other usable OS I
> seen. If parts of it starts becoming scripting languages, I don't see any
> reason to use it.

I concur that there's a plethora of bad applications being developed in Python
(and to a lesser degree, Ruby) by self-proclaimed programmers who have *zero*
clue about the black box algorithms and data structures they're happening to
choose. But that doesn't disqualify those two languages in particular, let
alone scripting languages as a whole, as fantastic tools on the right hands.

For a silly example, see how much of the Haiku startup is orchestrated by a
scripting language (Bash), and how many dialog boxes presented to you are
originated by Bash scripts calling 'alert'. A more elaborate example is how
Damn Small Linux used Lua for almost everything, including replacing a lot of
/bin tools by scripts. One can argue about anything DSL, except that it's not
lightweight and snappy.

(And in my trolling opinion, as far as creating a chasm between the user and
the metal goes, Java is the worst offender. Again in my trolling opinion, the
contribution Java brought to Computing was that so many techniques had to be
invented to solve all the problems that Java created, but now those techniques
can be put to much better use elsewhere.)

Cheers,
A.