[haiku-development] Re: Freetype with subpixel rendering [was Re: Re: Removing /boot/common]

  • From: Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2013 13:07:39 -0400

On Sun, Sep 22, 2013 at 12:37 PM, scottmc <scottmc2@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> If/when we move to freetype 2.5 this is now enabled by default.
> http://www.freetype.org/patents.html

Actually while it is great that the hinting patents expired, the real
issue here is the subpixel rendering, which is still covered by the
Microsoft ClearType patents, as I said. That is noted at the bottom of
the above page. It does also say the following:

"Note that subpixel rendering per se is prior art; using a different
colour filter thus easily circumvents Microsoft's patent claims."

This may be worth investigating, and maybe this is what Ubuntu is
doing, I'm not sure. I also really like the rendering shown on this
page:

http://www.antigrain.com/research/font_rasterization/

Haiku uses AGG for rendering so I think some of the concepts from the
above could be used for Haiku...

But for now the easiest solution is just to enable the default
Freetype subpixel rendering and add the appropriate code in Haiku, and
that is what I intend to do.

> If there are code changes required in Haiku to make this happen and Ryan
> knows what they are, then maybe it's time to move this up on your TODO list.
> ;) perhaps in time for the next release?

Yes the next time I can do Haiku development (which may not be for a
week or more), this will be the first thing I work on.

--
Regards,
Ryan