[haiku-development] Re: FreeBSD network drivers

  • From: "Adrien Destugues" <pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 08 Apr 2015 06:24:00 +0000

7 avril 2015 23:34 "Donn Cave" <donn@xxxxxxxxxxx> a écrit:

Quoth =?ISO-8859-1?B?Suly9G1lIER1dmFs?= <jerome.duval@xxxxxxxxx>,

On the one hand the ethernet compatibility layer can easily be
updated, the wireless part on the other hand is a lot more impacted at
least. The API changes impacted some wireless drivers more than
others. This probably won't go without regressions.

Would that bring USB wireless adapter support? I'm guessing, because
FreeBSD currently seems to have that. Along with probably more current
supported devices, but the USB option seems like a big step forward.

No, for this to work we would also have to extend the compatibility wrapper to
support USB devices with the FreeBSD USB stack API. This is a lot more work
than just updating what we already have.

It's a lot to ask, to perform the transplant surgery on a laptop to
install the Atheros card that seems to be the only somewhat safe bet
on Haiku at this time, but if there were a USB alternative, anyone who
really needs wireless could go that way.

I'm using an iprowifi card with rather good results. So I don't think Atheros
is "the only somewhat safe bet". With the compatibility layer updated we will
be able to get drivers for more PCI devices, hopefully enough of them to limit
the need for the USB compatibility wrapper.

--
Adrien.