[haiku-development] Re: Format of the initialization parameter string, BFSAddOn

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2008 11:43:40 +0200 CEST

Hello Marco,

Marco Minutoli <mminutoli@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I am on the way of writing a mkfs utility for haiku.

Great!

> Looking at the BFSAddOn interface I noticed that the Initialize
> method
> take a string that should contain initialization parameters and I
> have
> a couple of questions about this.
>
> How should this string be formatted?

It's a driver settings string in flat format.
It could look like this:
"key1 = value; key2 = value"
or:
"key1 value; key2 value"
or:
"key1 = value { key2 = value; key3 = value }"

Depending on if the settings are nested or not. For a file system, they
probably aren't ever nested, though.

> Where can I find an exhaustive list of possible options?

You don't have to. You will just get this string from the command line,
and pass it over to the initialize function unchanged.
Every file system will have different options, so you cannot make any
assumptions on what the file system needs here. While we could try to
specify some generic options that all file systems may want to support
(if applicable), we haven't done so yet.

Bye,
   Axel.