[haiku-development] Re: Firefox port [was: Re: R1/a4 initial planning]

  • From: Alex Wilson <yourpalal2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2012 00:33:14 -0700

2012/2/24 lodewijk andré de la porte <lodewijkadlp@xxxxxxxxx>:
>>that absolutely doesn't work in a web browser. Programming can only do
>> so much in the face of network latency!
> I know but I believe Webpositive does a bit worse.

Yes. You're right in that Web+ has bottlenecks beyond network latency,
but without super-fast internet, you'll always see pages loading,
regardless of your browser.

>> Why would you completely delete the entire interface? Navigating is a
>> core function of a browser, and shouldn't be relegated to right-click
>> menus.
> I kept the address bar. All modern browsers place navigation next to it. The
> menu's are rarely used. Admitting those things and removing them keeps
> things simple.

Ah, that's not how I interpreted what you said, sorry. I think moving
the menus to a button (as FF, Chrome, Opera, IE do) is a perfect
solution.

>> > Last but not least, a plugin system that allows to place extra
>> > context-sensitive info in the right mouse button. To inject JS into
>> > pages.
>> > To place a button to the left or right of the address bar (drop-down
>> > optionally?). To access the DOM on pages on which they become enabled
>> > and
>> > open their own pages (access the DOM accross those). Those things
>> > combined
>> > should make the majority of tasks possible. There could be a pre-parse
>> > html
>> > function, for filtering ads and tracking before they have a chance to
>> > show.
>> > There must be a little plugin-store too.
>> >
>> > Honestly, if this could be made I'd be able to spend 90% of my time in
>> > Haiku
>> > OS without compatibility problems.
>>
>> You've basically just described Chrome, but with less GUI 'chrome'.
>> Chrome is huge, it's a big project with full-time developers. If you
>> want Chrome, the best bet is to port it, not rewrite it for Haiku.
>> Maybe we could add an option to Chromium to use Haiku's S&T
>> functionality for tabs, but there's really no sense in dedicating all
>> of our resources to duplicating Chrome (it would probably take more
>> than all of our resources, actually).
>>
>> --Alex
>>
> Chrome has V8 and a lot of fairly random features. Can you tell me why any
> webkit based browser wouldn't just be "Chromium but worse"? Even if you do
> come up with something there'd likely be a plugin to do it. Only when it
> comes to speed might you "win".

An example of a webkit browser that's pretty different from Chrome is
Flock, although it is based on Chrome. Another is Safari, which is
similar to Chrome but has features that Chrome doesn't (and lacks some
that Chrome does). Yes you could make all browsers have the same
features by writing addons, but why would you want to do that?

> Besides it looks mostly like Firefox right now, isn't it better to just port
> FF?

In my opinion, yes, a FF or Chrome port is likely a more efficient way
to spend the time of Haiku developers. That said, I'm not (yet at
least) sufficiently motivated to take these things on, and I have a
great appreciation for the goal of a native browser and the work
that's been put into Web+.

--Alex