[haiku-development] Re: Firefox port [was: Re: R1/a4 initial planning]

  • From: Sean Collins <smc.collins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2012 18:46:36 +0000

Ingo Weinhold wrote:
On 2012-02-22 at 18:15:30 [+0100], Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 10:52 AM, Simon Taylor
<simontaylor1@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
That is true, the UI essentially uses the same rendering engine (or at
least, it did at one point) so as soon as the engine worked a full browser
UI should not be far behind. It might be worth trying with a GSoC project,
and we might get lucky with the student.
Never count on GSoC to produce anything.

Which is the reason for not having an urgent/high priority task as a GSoC project. And, I suppose, also a reason why you're opposed to having a WebKit/WebPositive project. But that's also why a Firefox port makes a good one. If nothing comes of it, that would at least not postpone a task we really have to get done.

Plus this is probably way too
complicated for a GSoC project anyhow.

That is something I cannot really judge. I assume you don't mean complicated in the sense that it requires skills that students likely don't possess, but rather the whole undertaking being quite a bit of work. Since Firefox is portable/ported software, however, I guess that three months of full time work could go quite a distance.

If someone is motivated to work on a new Firefox port feel free, but I
for one don't think trying to learn a new code base is a good use of
my time.

I'd love to see WebPositive development continue as fast as possible. So certainly, anyone wishing to work on WebPositive should do that rather than invest time in a Firefox port. But, in the hope that Haiku is again chosen as a mentoring organization, we need project ideas and I find the Firefox port a rather good one. As a student I would find it rather interesting. It is surely big enough to entertain the student the whole summer, but probably not too big either (at least not so big that getting results is outright impossible). Anyway, it's just a project idea. Someone would need to be willing to mentor it and a studing applying for it would need to be among the ones we select.

CU, Ingo

Given the support of mozilla by google, it might actually be a good project to propose, and maybe put 2 students on it to help with encouraging its development. Or perhaps if not firefox, then work on getting the QT port brushed up, debugged and finished, since it would allow for a huge software ecosystem to get put to use.

Or finishing the webcam driver, or finishing the services kit, or finishing the network kit.

Theres lots of half done stuff, or just flat plain old debugging tasks. Find and fix bugs, update sdl or finish it. Work on language bindings. Help with the package manager.

Look around at haiku, see where the needs are, and make those gsoc projects, maybe make that final push for beta this year, to help gain some momentum and encourage old devs to come back and draw in some new ones.

Sean