[haiku-development] Re: Finally deciding on a new source control system for Haiku

  • From: Niels Sascha Reedijk <niels.reedijk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 4 May 2011 08:02:41 +0200

Hi Clemens,

2011/5/3 Clemens <clemens.zeidler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> On Mon, 02 May 2011 22:24:17 +1200, Niels Sascha Reedijk
> <niels.reedijk@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

>>> Hi Niels and Oliver,
>>>
>>> what is you opinion about gui integration? from the available tools I
>>> have
>>> the, maybe wrong, impression that hg is better to wrap it into a gui.
>>
>> I am not sure. With both tools you will rely on command line output
>> parsing, as there is no way to do a GUI in Python.
>
> but it hopefully will be possible soon ;-) just took a glimpse at the
> tortoise code and apparently hg has a api
>
>        Clemens
>
> another glimpse (just ~5min) at tortoise git: really needs to parse the git
> output :(
>
> As Niels stated, with the hg bookmarks extension it just becomes a matter of
> taste. The reason why I vote for hg now is that it looks much easier to
> integrate hg into third party applications/GUI's. Since Haiku is a desktop
> system I think that's an important point. We have a similar problem with jam
> by the way...
>
> @Jon: you integrated some VCS's into paladin what's your opinion?

Note that there is a Python implementation of Git, which is called
Dulwich. I met the maintainer at the last GSoC mentor meeting. It
turns git's internal data structure into Python data, and it allows
low-level, as well as some high-level operations. One could, in
theory, interface with both tools through the Python C-API. I think
though, that in this sense none of the two tools is particularly
interfaceable, except for when the support for GUI's in Python comes.