[haiku-development] Re: Finally deciding on a new source control system for Haiku

  • From: Clemens <clemens.zeidler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 04 May 2011 09:37:43 +1200

On Mon, 02 May 2011 22:24:17 +1200, Niels Sascha Reedijk
<niels.reedijk@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi Niels and Oliver,

what is you opinion about gui integration? from the available tools I have
the, maybe wrong, impression that hg is better to wrap it into a gui.

I am not sure. With both tools you will rely on command line output
parsing, as there is no way to do a GUI in Python.

but it hopefully will be possible soon ;-) just took a glimpse at the
tortoise code and apparently hg has a api

        Clemens

another glimpse (just ~5min) at tortoise git: really needs to parse the git output :(

As Niels stated, with the hg bookmarks extension it just becomes a matter of taste. The reason why I vote for hg now is that it looks much easier to integrate hg into third party applications/GUI's. Since Haiku is a desktop system I think that's an important point. We have a similar problem with jam by the way...

@Jon: you integrated some VCS's into paladin what's your opinion?

regards,
        Clemens