[haiku-development] Re: Finally deciding on a new source control system for Haiku

  • From: Daniel Pihlström <threecreepio@xxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 3 May 2011 20:56:26 +0200

On Tue, May 3, 2011 at 8:28 PM, Adrien Destugues
> On the contributor side, this still isn't as simple as "svn diff".
> It may be interesting, if it also replaces steps d and e. But Idon't know if
> it does.

The upside to github (imo) would be that there are already some 800
thousand accounts, there's a fair chance that a person will have or be
willing to create a github account and a fork is a single button
click.

If it replaces the trac steps depends on if using github Issues is a
good idea, or if looking into the github->trac integration seems good
enough.

> Does github or gitorious offer a way to trac the forks that were
> made from Haiku ?

Yes, you can see a list of forks in a few different ways, as well as
what changes are made in them.

> If so, how do we know which ones are ready for merging in
> the mainline Haiku ? Are they ready ? Are they meant for us ?

You usually shouldn't be concerning yourself about what's happening on
these forks, as a lot of them will be uninteresting. The people who
have changes that are intended for you will be those that add a pull
request, which creates an issue on the master repository, which you
can merge using the merge button[0].

[0] https://github.com/blog/843-the-merge-button