[haiku-development] Re: Finally deciding on a new source control system for Haiku

  • From: "Ingo Weinhold" <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 03 May 2011 16:39:08 +0200

On Tue, 3 May 2011 14:47:21 +0200 (MEST) "Axel Dörfler"
<axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Brecht Machiels<brecht@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I've seen several independent benchmarks (they should be easy to find),
> > and git is indeed the fastest and it's repositories are the smallest.
>
> It doesn't really matter which tool is the fastest at a specific action,
> but if the tool's performance is acceptable.

"Acceptable" has a bit of a range. While 5 seconds for some operation might be
considered acceptable, < 1 second would be a lot more pleasant to use.

> While I guess that git will be faster overall compared to hg, I don't
> expect it would be a performance issue to use either tool for our repository.

I would not have expected certain problems with svn either. Unfortunately
expectations aren't always met. :-) I'd also prefer benchmarks with the Haiku
repository over "independent" ones performed with other test data.

CU, Ingo