[haiku-development] Re: Finally deciding on a new source control system for Haiku

  • From: marius adrian popa <mapopa@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 3 May 2011 13:17:08 +0300

On Tue, May 3, 2011 at 2:12 AM, Urias McCullough <umccullough@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, May 2, 2011 at 1:45 PM, Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx> wrote:
>>> We don't want people making easy forks, moving away from the current
>>> server setup, or anything else. We want to keep the current setup as
>>> much as possible, while still adding these improvements. Switching to
>>> github would be a way too big move for that. It has a great risk of
>>> going out of control.
>>
>> I really wish you wouldn't speak for all of us. At least I don't see any
>> "going out of control" risks. If we switch to git, I'd consider it
>> inevitable that people would clone the official repository on GitHub,
>> Gitorious, etc. and I don't see a problem with that. On the contrary, I'd
>> even encourage a more open development.
>
> +1 on encouraging clones of the repo, btw...
>
> For example, it may encourage "outsiders" to work on a clone of Haiku
> of their own, and if recognized as a valuable contribution, their
> changes could be "easily" merged back into the official sources. That
> something I've seen happen very often on GitHub, etc, and not a bad
> thing at all.
+1 for github i use it for serveral firebird projects

What i like there is that is very easy to merge back the changes , yes
i know is git gift
but you only need to push the button
So in the end it's easy to create the forks but is also very easy to
merge them back
so is very good at centralizing the merges
Also i use gitorious but is a lot harder to merge the changes , but
not very difficult
the pro for gitorious is that is open source

I give one example on handling gitorious merges vs github

One way to merge in these changes is to pull them into a local branch
for review, verifying the changes and then merge to back to master.

# Check out a new branch for integration
git checkout -b merge-requests/1

# Fetch the merge request into this branch
git pull \
  git://gitorious.org/wkthumb/wkthumb.git \
  refs/merge-requests/1

# Show the commits, assess they are okay
git log --pretty=oneline --abbrev-commit master..merge-requests/1

# To apply the changes to your branch:
git checkout master
git merge merge-requests/1
git push origin master

ps: Git is too powerfull But with that power comes enough rope to kill
a committee