[haiku-development] Re: Finally deciding on a new source control system for Haiku

  • From: Oliver Tappe <zooey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 03 May 2011 00:02:11 +0200

On 2011-05-02 at 09:58:21 [+0200], Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
[ ... ]

> I think the biggest hg drawback is the lack of hard link support in BFS;
> since the rest is mostly a matter of taste, I would argue that git would be
> the better choice then.
> However, with tools like git-svn working perfectly fine, and our main
> repository working pretty much how SVN works, what is the exact motivation
> to switch? We can already have developer branches at github if we want to,
> and everyone can already use git locally now. I would definitely not want
> to sacrifice our current Trac integration for git on the server.

Motivations for moving from svn to git on the server are:

- using just one tool for the task minimizes the risk of problems
- cloning Haiku's trunk via git is faster than via git-svn (5mins compared to
14mins when I checked just now)

> With regards to github vs. hosting it on our own server: with a DVCS, I
> think a foreign server is definitely an option, although I guess the
> integration with our tools would be easier when we host it ourselves. Also,
> at release time, we need to trust the server as well, and we already moved
> away from SF, and BerliOS which are both happily used by thousands of
> projects. And finally, I'm mostly satisfied with the speed our server
> provides us nowadays.

Yep, I agree that we should host the main repository on our server. From
there, we could push towards github/gitorious.
Alternatively, we could install gitorious on our server, too, but I'd rather
try the maintained services first before having to do the maintenance myself

cheers,
        Oliver