[haiku-development] Re: Finally deciding on a new source control system for Haiku

  • From: "Ingo Weinhold" <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 02 May 2011 15:48:36 +0200

On Mon, 2 May 2011 08:18:01 -0500 Alex von Gluck <kallisti5@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Pulling away from the Github discussions for a moment, while I am in
> favor of git... how will Haiku begin tracking versions?  Previously we
> have always used svn revision numbers to identify versions. While using
> dates and times makes more sense to track development versions of our
> sources, they are a lot harder to track in an easy incrementing fashion.

As Oliver wrote:

  Finally, there's an easy way to establish "central" revision numbers with
git, too.

I assume he refers to automatically creating lightweight tags on the server,
which was the method he had examined last time we talked about it.

The change sets would be tagged in push-order. A subsequent pull from the
server would also fetch the tags.

CU, Ingo