[haiku-development] Re: Filesystem corruption and Alpha-1

  • From: "Stephan Assmus" <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2009 16:19:56 +0200

Hi,
> On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 9:09 AM, Oliver Tappe<zooey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
> > But just because Stippi is experiencing these problems, it can not be
> followed
> > that this will happen to your mails, too. I am using haiku as mail-OS
> since
> > several months now and I have not seen any of my mails disappear. Then
> again -
> > maybe I just didn't notice ;-)
> > Seriously, though - I think there's a big difference between releasing
> an
> > alpha version and making sure that a software is good enough to deal
> with
> > precious data. At least for me, an alpha release does not have to be
> reliable.
>
> I was going to second that, I've been running it pretty much
> exclusively on my a64 for many months reading mail, haiku
> development/debugging, web browsing, etc. and the only times I've
> encountered data corruption/weirdness were during periods with lots of
> KDLs, at which point such a thing isn't 100% surprising, at least to
> me. The disappearing mail problem I've never encountered/noticed here
> either.

The partition in question was created in ZETA and used a long time before I
fully switched to Haiku. Who knows if the setup that leads to the bug is even
reproducable on a partition that has only ever been used with our
implementation of BFS...

In any case, I am rebuilding Haiku with BFS and Block Cache tracing turned on
as we speak. Hopefully I can help track this down sooner rather than later.

Best regards,
-Stephan