[haiku-development] Re: File Open/Save Dialog Edit menu

  • From: David Rawson Couzelis <drcouzelis@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 May 2013 00:58:18 -0400

Here is a view on the topic that I haven't heard expressed yet.

> Why? They do cut and paste files?

The "File" menu was not named because it's for "file" commands. The menus are named with verbs that describe generally what the actions in the menu are for.

So, for the "File", "Edit", and "View" menus:

The "View" menu contains actions for "viewing".

The "Edit" menu contains actions for "editing".

The "File" menu contains actions for "filing", as in "filing a document".

The "File -> Copy" command in the Haiku "Open File" dialog can do two things: It can copy a file that can then be pasted into another Tracker window, or it can copy a filename that can be pasted into a text document (I just tried it out). Only one of these commands relates to "Files", and neither of these commands relate to "Filing".

They do both relate to "Editing". You are either editing the contents of the directory you are viewing, or editing the filename text.

Also, "Edit -> Copy" is REALLY REALLY standard. ;)

So anyway, as I mentioned, this is just another view on the topic that nobody has brought up yet. Whatever the Haiku developers decide to do with it, I'll still be using Haiku. :)