[haiku-development] Re: Feature for MediaPlayer

  • From: pulkomandy <pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2012 21:20:48 +0100

On Sat, Nov 24, 2012 at 02:29:33PM -0600, Dane Scott - TuneTracker Systems
wrote:
> Has there been any discussion about eventually adding something like an "Open
> URL" feature in MediaPlayer?  Alongside that feature, it might be nice if a
> web site link to a playlist file that contains the address of a stream could
> be associated with MediaPlayer as well, so if a "listen" link on a web page
> (such as a .m3u or .pls) is clicked, MediaPlayer would pop up and play the
> Internet radio station..

This need several things :
 * Adding the menu in the UI. This is the easy part
 * Add appropriate support in the media kit, next to BMediaFile.
 * Make sure our codecs are able to work with streamed sources. For now,
they assume they can freely seek (this is used to guess the data
format).

Part of the work was started as part of a (failed) GSoC project about
adding DVD playback support, as DVDs are also better streamed.

--
Adrien.