[haiku-development] Re: Feasibility of a 64-bit port?

  • From: Urias McCullough <umccullough@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2009 11:11:51 -0700

On Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 10:52 AM, Ryan Leavengood<leavengood@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I don't think you would have much more difficulty porting to a 64-bit
> platform than to any other platform. Of course having some backwards
> compatibility to run standard 32-bit Haiku or old BeOS applications
> may be more difficult. But I guess if Linux and Windows can do it we
> could too. It probably could be done with the same sort of hybrid
> system we use to support both gcc2 and gcc4 applications and
> libraries.

I suspect usually the pain is locating all the "lazy" uses of int
rather than addr_t for pointers and fixing them, etc.

Since all the current ports that are in progress are 32-bit (AFAIK),
this hasn't been much of an issue yet.

Ultimately, a 64bit port attempt would help clean this up, of course :)

I'm not an expert, by any means, but I gather from discussions
elsewhere that it can be pretty monotonous work.

- Urias