[haiku-development] Re: FatELF Implementation

  • From: Jonathan Schleifer <js-haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2012 11:59:29 +0100

Am 27.11.2012 um 01:20 schrieb Landon J Fuller:

>       - Developer tools, including gcc and gdb. My goal is that one can run
> simply run:
>               gcc -arch x86 -arch x86_64 -arch x86-gcc2 hello.c -o hello

This won't be easy with GCC. Apple patched a lot to make that happen. Have a
look at Clang instead, which works just fine on Haiku. Clang would be a better
replacement for GCC2 than GCC4 anyway, IMHO, which is why I'm working in
getting Haiku to work when compiled with Clang. The main problems left are in
the kernel space - and my limited time.

> The latter goal is a large one, and will also involve implementing 32-bit
> syscall compatibility in the x86-64 port, unless someone else beats me to it.

I think FatELF should be fully working before we try to add a compatibility
layer for multiarch, don't you think? ;) And even then, I'm not sure how
necessary that will be. And I guess such a compatibility layer will be a huge
pain: After all, it also needs to suppor gcc2 and gcc4.

> All said, I spent about five days of full-time development on implementing
> this (and getting familiar with Haiku at the same time), and it was a lot of
> fun. I plan on spending more time on additional work on Haiku in the future,
> if you'll have me.

Nice! I'm looking forward to it, it will really make the GCC2/GCC4 mess easier
:).

--
Jonathan