[haiku-development] Extracting out libjpeg.so from the JPEG translator

  • From: Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 16 Aug 2009 21:40:30 -0400

We already have a separate libpng.so, so I think it would be useful to
also have libjpeg.so. At the moment we could use this for the WebKit
port until we get a BTranslator-based image decoder working. In
addition libjpeg is on Haiku-ports so I assume it is needed by other
ported software. Obviously it would be great if all software ported to
Haiku used the translator system, but short term this probably isn't
an option.

If no one opposes this within the next day or so, I'll start working on it.

Also why do all the translators embed their decoding libraries? For
example even though we have libpng.so, the PNG translator embeds
libpng.a. Is that a limitation of the translator system (they can't
load other libraries)? Or is it just an optimization (for speed, since
it doesn't help memory usage if the .so is loaded by something else)?

Finally whether or not libjpeg.so is extracted I want to try and
update our libjpeg to the latest from ijg.org (release 7, released
June 27, 2009.)

--
Regards,
Ryan