[haiku-development] Re: External package woes (was What to do with termcap?)

  • From: Urias McCullough <umccullough@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2013 17:36:51 -0800

On Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 4:59 PM, Sean Collins <smc.collins@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I've been sort of following along here, and to adress both of your points. I
> really think haiku ports needs a Haiku based build bot, that can build all
> the packages and itself stays up to date. It seems ridiculous for the
> package manager to pull down raw code and perform builds on the target
> machine. Also it might help if haiku is building, with a build bot, for
> haiku ports, to watch for breakage etc.

Yep, setting up a buildbot to build packages is certainly something
that several of us have discussed. It does require setting up some
infrastructure and scripts, however, and it can be a bit complicated.

> I don't think cross compilation is a good answer here, and having a haiku
> ports build bot would be a great way to alleviate allot of those packages
> not maintaining compatibility. If it was handled like the nightly builds. it
> sure would make life easier for everyone, though it would be a big task to
> get up and running afaik.

And so, how would you propose building a new version of Haiku which
requires and updated ICU package automatically with buildbot? You
would have to use an old version of Haiku to compile the new ICU
package, and then upload the binary package somewhere in order to
build the new Haiku version - which is precisely one of the annoying
problems that merits some resolution in the future. Same thing might
apply to Mesa, OpenSSL, Freetype, and numerous other packages which
are required to even build/boot a working Haiku.

- Urias