[haiku-development] Re: External package woes (was What to do with termcap?)

  • From: Landon J Fuller <landonf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2013 18:26:05 -0500

On Feb 1, 2013, at 6:17 PM, pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> We don't encourage custom builds of Haiku for all different CPU instruction
> sets variants out there. We chose some requirements that make sense, and we
> make sure to keep binary compatibility as long as it makes sense. So, this
> doesn't need to be an easy task.

ARM iterates rapidly and isn't finalized yet, and neither are the ABIs in use.
Same for x86-64 and the other platforms.
Nor are compilers finalized, where rebuilding the full OS is also valuable.

>> This doesn't seem worth it for the 20 or so core dependencies that are
>> necessary to build+run the OS, especially since most of the world to
>> integrate them was already done, and now more work is being invested in
>> lifting them back out of the source tree before genuinely automated tools
>> to deal with them exist.
>
> Even more time is spent answering mails here.

I don't know about you, but so far, I've personally spent a lot more time
working around the 'optional' core OS packages than I have writing these
e-mails, and looking at the list of things I'd be interested in working on, I
expect I'll wind up wasting a lot more time on it too, especially if the number
of required 'optional' keeps increasing.

-landonf