[haiku-development] Re: Experimenting with menu code

  • From: pete.goodeve@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2011 00:15:42 -0800

On Sun, Jan 09, 2011 at 12:26:36PM +0100, Ingo Weinhold wrote:

> I'd generally recommend to use the build profiles instead (i.e. "jam -q
> @myprofile update libbe.so").
>
> When building under Haiku one can let the build system prepare a directory
> with the test app and all required libraries via a few lines in the
> UserBuildConfig. E.g.:
>
> HaikuInstall menu-test : /boot/home/Desktop/menu-test
>       : MenuTestApp
>       : install-menu-test
> ;
>
> HaikuInstall menu-test : /boot/home/Desktop/menu-test/lib
>       : libbe.so
>       : install-menu-test
> ;
>
> A "jam -q menu-test" will then build both the test app and libbe and copy
> them to the respective directory. The "install-menu-test" is the grist to
> be used for the installed targets (should be something reasonably unique),
> the other parameters should be obvious.

(:-)) Not necessarily... Jam was pretty much a Here-Be-Dragons region,
until today anyway.  I've spent most of it on an intensive cramming
session, and I now have a much better idea of how Jam functions.
(I probably worked from the wrong end -- started with the Jam manual
and ended up with Ryan's useful tutorial.)  Still some gaps, but I
at least now know how to read a Jamfile.  (I assume that was the only
way to find out what, say, HaikuInstall actually does?)  There seem
to be a few Haiku specials, like (User)BuildConfig (and @profiles?),
that I can't find documented elsewhere.

Thanks for the above suggestions.  I can now try them out.

Cheers,
        -- Pete --