[haiku-development] Re: Experimenting with menu code

  • From: Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2011 00:57:01 -0500

On 1/9/11, Clemens Zeidler <clemens.zeidler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> to just update libbe. Think thats much easier than setting up your own
> build system

Yeah I'm not sure if you develop in Haiku Pete, but in my development
I just build libbe.so and copy that into the right place for testing
on my running Haiku machine (the same machine I'm compiling on.) If
only a few files change making a new libbe.so only takes 10 seconds or
so. Just be sure that if you happen to want to replace the system
libbe.so, you must delete it first (just copying it into place can
lock up Haiku.) But I'd recommend just copying one into ~/config/lib,
which should load before /boot/system/lib.

I really don't see how your code could replace code from libbe.so,
especially since you don't really have all that much control on how
things are loaded. But clearly it seems like something was messed up.

But either way it is good to see someone else looking at the menu
code. I think if a few of us take a look at it and spend a little time
it could be improved. Though I know Stefano put a lot of time and bug
fixes into it so we should definitely pay attention to how things are
done now and make sure any tests cover all cases.

Stephan did mention he had played around with a BMenuTracker class to
consolidate the tracking code into one object. That would surely be an
improvement.

--
Regards,
Ryan