[haiku-development] Experimenting with menu code

  • From: pete.goodeve@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: Haiku Development <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2011 20:51:18 -0800

Hi,
   Given my earlier concerns about menu behaviour, I've been trying to
set up a testbed where I could play quick experiments on the code (including
playing with Ryan's patch).  However, I've (as usual) been running into
newbie trouble...

As jamming a complete system takes well over an hour on my system, I
was hoping to set myself up a sandbox where I could just compile the
menu code (with a good ol' makefile) and link that to a short test
main program (that works as expected with libbe).  (I've added the
needed extra include paths to the Makefile.)

The test compiles and can be run, but menus don't actually show up!
Instead I get a small grey rectangle with no items.  I would assume that
something in libbe is doing a callback to the menu code, but uses its
own copy, so gets wrong values?

I've tried adding in all the other 'Menu...' sources to the test,
but it makes no difference.  Is there any hope of getting this working,
or do I have to resign myself to jamming? (I presume I can probably
jam a more restricted domain at least, as I did with the MIDI code.)

Thanks,
        -- Pete --