[haiku-development] Ethernet drivers for VirtualBox?

  • From: Michael Crawford <mdcrawford@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 11:30:58 -0700

Greetings, Fellow Travelers,

I have BeOS 5 Pro working under VirtualBox (see below), unfortunately
I can't use the network because BeOS 5 doesn't provide drivers for any
of the emulated ethernet cards that VirtualBox supplies, and it
doesn't look like I can download any.

It seems there used to be an Intel Pro/1000 driver for BeOS that was
written by Marcus Overhagen, but it's not available for download
anymore.  Does anyone have it?  Or the sources?

If someone could at least give me the source I'd be happy to build it
and post a binary.

The NICs provided by VirtualBox 2.1.4 for Mac OS X are:

- PCnet-PCI II (Am79C970A)
- PCnet-PCI III (Am79C973)
- Intel PRO/1000 MT Desktop (82540EM)
- Intel PRO/1000 T Server (82543G)

If you have a driver for any of those cards, I would be eternally in your debt.

As for getting BeOS 5 working under VirtualBox... the installation CD
won't boot, but a while back I documented the procedure for
transferring a BeOS installation from a physical disk partition to an
image file that will run under QEMU:

   http://www.oggfrog.com/howto/emulators/

I was able to use that disk image under VirtualBox by converting the
raw image to the .vdi format with VBoxManage:

  $ VBoxManage convertdd BeBop.img Banana.vdi

In the above command line, BeBop.img is the raw disk image that I
snarfed off my hard drive, and Banana.vdi is the VirtualBox format
image.  It booted right up without any complaint.  Just no networking
- yet!

Mike
--
Michael David Crawford