[haiku-development] Re: Enforcing gcc2h

  • From: Nickos V <tonestone57@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 29 May 2011 17:03:35 -0600

> We don't need another dev, I can explain it myself :)

Ok, thanks Adrien for the explanation.  I know about these but was drawing a
total blank because too tired to think today.  Feeling Wiped out and going to
take a nap.

> > That is fine but that still does not solve any ABI changes that break gcc4
> > apps later on. See my first reply. And people use a zip file to install
> > gcc4 libraries which means gcc4 libs will end up in /boot/common/lib (which
> > is gcc2 lib folder on gcc2 system). That is why I brought up BASH script to
> > do gcc4 library install on gcc2 release for non-experts.
> >

> This is just wrongly packaged libs.

True for gcc2 Haiku but not for gcc4 Haiku.  Since porting person compiled
libraries on gcc4 Haiku they expect the end user to install to gcc4 system.
 Either way this will cause an issue for gcc2 or gcc4 Haiku depending how the
libs are packaged.  I now see your point.  Libraries should always be packaged
for official gcc2 Haiku no matter if compiled on gcc4 Haiku.  Many people think
that if you use gcc4 programs that you are better off with gcc4 Haiku to have
less issues.

A Haiku compatible logo is great idea to ensure gcc4 libraries/programs are
packaged for and working on official gcc2 Haiku.

> This will eventually get solved when we get a package manager, anyway.

Right you are!

I added in extra blank lines since Freelists? likes to strip them from any
posts coming from Hotmail email.  I am too used to Hotmail to switch. =(