[haiku-development] Re: Enforcing gcc2h

  • From: Adrien Destugues <pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 29 May 2011 22:54:07 +0100

Le 29/05/2011 17:25, Sean Collins a écrit :
Adrien Destugues wrote:
Le 29/05/2011 19:40, Nickos V a écrit :
> Le 29/05/2011 18:40, Axel Dörfler a écrit :
> > Jim Saxton<black.belt.jimmy@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >> If haiku can do a simple fix that will make these lazy devs
> > Yes, the simple fix is to stop building gcc4 nightlies. If it helps to > > make Haikuware more useful, I think that would be more important than
> > the additional testing it gets.

I am not sure why gcc4 is such a big issue.

gcc4 programs and games should still work on gcc2hybrid.

The problem is, they don't. There is a minimal level of testing to do to ensure that, and for a lot of SDL games distributed on Haikuware, it wasn't done, so they are just broken. You can't just build on a gcc4 install and expect thepackage to work everywhere. If people building the package take some care, then there will be no problem. This is why we proposed an Haiku Compatible logo : it will be allowed for software that passed the checks, and should run fine.

This is a great idea. Now I have a question, If I am going to spend time bundling testing etc, what exactly should I be looking for in the directory structures, compatibility ? If I recommend a program to get the logo, what is the exact criteria for doing so ?
I started the wiki page mentionned above for listing the requirements : http://dev.haiku-os.org/wiki/Haiku%20Compatible%20Logo I don't remember everything, but as an Haiku user, you should know what gets annoying as well as me :)

If you have anything to add to that page, feel free to do so (tell me by mail if you don't have wiki permissions on trac).

The testing process would be something like :
 * Install the software on a freshly installed Alpha3
 * Check it does run
 * Check it doesn't break anything else
* Check that it didn't mess up with the system, that is, the app itself should be in /boot/common/apps, the libs in boot/system/lib ot boot/system/lib/gcc4 if they are gcc4 libs, anf the settings in home/config/settings. Nothing else should be changed * Additionnal checks may inclide compliance to Haiku Interface Guidelines ; maybe some other stuff.

Now the question is what to do with the test results. The main software download place seems to be Haikuware. You can post comments there telling "this software was certified Haiku Compatible" or something like that, I hope Karl (haikuware admin) will be ok to help and put the haiku compatible logo on software that deserve it (not sure if he's reading here...). An alternative is to contact the software authors directly and tell them their software is haiku compatible, and they are allowed to put the logo on it. As a start, you can also keep your ownlist in a textfile ; we can see what to do with it later.

It's great to see you helping with it, anyway.

I do have questions about QT however. It would be ideal to package it into this "program pack" given the number of useful applications that it brings to the table. It makes getting media from youtube etc alot easier and more bearable. also those apps can be properly repackaged to conform with haiku os design guidelines, so point me in the right direction and I will get to work.

Not sure about that, I fear the compliance to HIG maybe harder for these. The fact that they need Qt also means they won't work on a fresh Alpha 3. So, it depends on what we call 'haiku compatible'. Is having to install a lib along with the app a problem ? we need the advice from other members of the project here :)

--
Adrien.