[haiku-development] Re: Enforcing gcc2h

  • From: Sean Collins <smc.collins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 29 May 2011 16:25:06 +0000

Adrien Destugues wrote:
Le 29/05/2011 19:40, Nickos V a écrit :
> Le 29/05/2011 18:40, Axel Dörfler a écrit :
> > Jim Saxton<black.belt.jimmy@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >> If haiku can do a simple fix that will make these lazy devs
> > Yes, the simple fix is to stop building gcc4 nightlies. If it helps to > > make Haikuware more useful, I think that would be more important than
> > the additional testing it gets.

I am not sure why gcc4 is such a big issue.

gcc4 programs and games should still work on gcc2hybrid.

The problem is, they don't. There is a minimal level of testing to do to ensure that, and for a lot of SDL games distributed on Haikuware, it wasn't done, so they are just broken. You can't just build on a gcc4 install and expect thepackage to work everywhere. If people building the package take some care, then there will be no problem. This is why we proposed an Haiku Compatible logo : it will be allowed for software that passed the checks, and should run fine.

This is a great idea. Now I have a question, If I am going to spend time bundling testing etc, what exactly should I be looking for in the directory structures, compatibility ? If I recommend a program to get the logo, what is the exact criteria for doing so ?

any clarification here would be great. I don't mind putting in the work to test the packages etc. Thats not a big deal and I have the time right now to get into this and have it done before the release.

Any pointer, links, commentary on the subject would be greatly appreciated.

I do have questions about QT however. It would be ideal to package it into this "program pack" given the number of useful applications that it brings to the table. It makes getting media from youtube etc alot easier and more bearable. also those apps can be properly repackaged to conform with haiku os design guidelines, so point me in the right direction and I will get to work.

 Sean