[haiku-development] Re: Enforcing gcc2h

  • From: Adrien Destugues <pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 29 May 2011 20:55:43 +0100

Le 29/05/2011 19:40, Nickos V a écrit :
> Le 29/05/2011 18:40, Axel Dörfler a écrit :
> > Jim Saxton<black.belt.jimmy@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >> If haiku can do a simple fix that will make these lazy devs
> > Yes, the simple fix is to stop building gcc4 nightlies. If it helps to
> > make Haikuware more useful, I think that would be more important than
> > the additional testing it gets.

I am not sure why gcc4 is such a big issue.

gcc4 programs and games should still work on gcc2hybrid.

The problem is, they don't. There is a minimal level of testing to do to ensure that, and for a lot of SDL games distributed on Haikuware, it wasn't done, so they are just broken. You can't just build on a gcc4 install and expect thepackage to work everywhere. If people building the package take some care, then there will be no problem. This is why we proposed an Haiku Compatible logo : it will be allowed for software that passed the checks, and should run fine.

--
Adrien.