[haiku-development] Re: EeePC networking

  • From: "Bruno Albuquerque" <bga@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2008 07:21:22 -0200

On Thu, 04 Dec 2008 22:49:57, Bruno Albuquerque said:

> > > Could some of it be related to disk activity as a result of
> > > swapfile
> > > support now somehow being induced by memory-allocation
> > > activities?
> >
> > In case of my findings on the Eee that is unlikely, since I had
> > plenty
> > of free RAM (most of it even cleared as the machine idled waiting
> > for
> > something to resume its work).
>
> Although one would expect this to be true. I just did a test and, at
> least in my configuration, proved that this is not really the case.
>
> As I have plenty of memory I went ahead and disabled the swap file
> (through the VirtualMemory preference app). After rebooting I got not
> slow-downs anymore. Right now I am compiling Haiku and listening to
> MP3s and the sound is not skipping (with virtual memory enabled, it
> does skip a lot).
>
> So I would guess that even with plenty of memory available it seems
> that the virtual memory system is still swapping out pages a lot.
>
> -Bruno
>
> Ps: The test was completelly unscientific so it may just be luck. If
> notice slowdowns I will be sure to mention.

Just an update. I did some more testing and noticed that the problem is
still there even with virtual memory being disabled. It just seems to
be decreased considerably. Audio does skip with heavy IO (but less than
with virtual memory enabled, it seems). The reason I ended up double
checking was because I started a sync of the Haiku tree. I was
listening to an mp3 file and when the sync got the new files and start
cleaning up after the sync, I tried to check emails. For around 3
seconds, app_server seemed to have gone dead (Deskbar would not update,
for example). Audio was still playing without problems.

-Bruno