[haiku-development] Re: EeePC networking

  • From: "David Weizades" <ddewbofh@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2008 16:07:29 +0100

On Mon, Dec 15, 2008 at 3:54 PM, Fredrik Holmqvist
<fredrik.holmqvist@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> 2008/12/15 David Weizades <ddewbofh@xxxxxxxxx>:
>> This is not so much a problem with SSDs...
>
> The write problem that is common on SSD's is what I was referring to,
> do we really need to go into details.
> Back on topic, as Axel stated the issue is with the whole system hanging.
>
> /Fredrik Holmqvist, TQH

Heh, sorry for derailing. I have a nasty habit of going _way_ off
topic as soon as my mind gets started.

Anyway, the point was that every OS I've run using MLC drives has had
the problem Axel mentions, the hanging during small, random disk
writes. Implementing some kind of write caching mechanism would do
wonders, just so you can adjust how large the datachunks that are
being written to disk are. This would add the addition benefit of
speeding "fake"-raids as well.

Cheers
David