[haiku-development] Re: Dula-booting from WinXP

  • From: Richard Jasmin <jasminr@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 11 May 2009 09:09:43 -0400

There is code to do a check on multiple drive and partitions.I think its called ,shoot, I forgot it has something to do with /dev/hda detection, and this is in both C and Pascal.I'm not on the tower right now, so I can't upload the code.

The code will detect the first four drives, which for SATA, works as well,though the controller is at a different address per board manufacturer.

On May 11, 2009, at 6:51 AM, André Braga wrote:

On Sun, May 10, 2009 at 19:39, Michael Lotz <mmlr@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
Or just use the one we already have in our repository for a long time? Like in

[snip]

To shorten the path of dual booting using the ntloader just put the above file into windows partition root and set up boot.ini as outlined. Then write the LBA partition offset (the same as set for the partition in the MBR) to offset
506 of said file using a hex-editor.

Well, sure. But this requires knowing the LBA of the partition offset,
little endian, and is only capable of booting the 1st HD.

While it definitely worked for me here, I'd be thrilled if the loader
was a little more flexible.

BTW, Sweet Lord, did Haiku NAIL supporting the hardware on my laptop!
I dd'd the flat image to a partition I set apart for it, and
chainloaded stage1. *Everything* that I need for daily use worked
(except for wifi, of course). And what a *big* surprise, the kernel
groks GPT!

Anyway... I've got to dissect the syslog to see what other gems are
hiding there. But for now, off to sleep, I got carried away by the
excitement :D

Cheers,
A.