[haiku-development] Drop Down or Pop Up (Was: Re: Working on Haiku's Mail app)

  • From: Alexandre Deckner <alex@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 04 Dec 2009 13:39:07 +0100

Alexandre Deckner wrote:
Axel Dörfler wrote:

Our BMenuFields are not drop down menus, as they don't open below the field - since they don't do that, calling them "drop down" is misleading and wrong IMO. >From the Wikipedia articles you qouted, it bested matches the description of OS X.

Heh, true, i never realised that 8-o

In fact they open at the position of the currently selected item, which is clever indeed.

Still i wouldn't find too misleading to call it a drop down list, but it doesn't disturb me too much since that doesn't deadlock my non english-native brain! For example, i rarelly use computer terms in french but it seem's to be "liste deroulante" ~= "unrolling list", which convey the same meaning except there's no notion of up/down direction :) The only problem i have with "pop up" is that it's not any more precise and also already used all over the web to define something that pop's from nowhere. Should we invent a new term?

Regards,
Alex