[haiku-development] Re: Driver development - how to install a new driver

  • From: Christian Packmann <Christian.Packmann@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2009 13:40:35 +0100

Axel Dörfler:
Christian Packmann <Christian.Packmann@xxxxxx> wrote:
Now that the driver is installed, a 'rescan' does seem to work as intended; using the same install script, changes in the driver code are recognized when it's next opened.

Actually, the kernel now uses node monitoring to detect driver updates; "rescan" should be a no op.

Oh. The transcript of your presentation at WalterCon 2006 indicated that rescan was supposed to be used.
If the driver has not been detected on first try, there obviously is a bug when it comes to new files/directories vs. old ones. If you have a reproducible test case, feel free to file a bug report about it, preferred with a patch ;-)

I'll look into this.
BTW the code for the legacy driver support is in src/system/kernel/
device_manager/legacy_drivers.*

Uhm, what is the distinction for "legacy driver"? I modeled my new driver after poke
because I thought it would use any new model, being in the Haiku repo. Is there any driver which is
a.) simple and b.) a good representation of "how it shall be done"?

Christian