[haiku-development] Re: Donating codes: APE reader

  • From: Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 15:40:52 +0200

SHINTA wrote:
> Hi,
>
>  I want to donate my application to Haiku. It's Media Kit APE reader. I
> think that adding capatility of playing APE (Monkey's Audio) to Haiku
> increase Haiku's charm as a Media OS. How about this proposal?
>
>  I want to donate 2 components.
>
>  One is APE reader, Media Kit add-on.
>
>  Another is Lib Monkey's Audio. This is a core engine to play APE file.
> This is a port of Windows' version.
> http://www.monkeysaudio.com/developers.html
>
>  This library is loaded by APE reader. And more, any application can use
> this.

Cool! While the inclusion of encoders/writers may or may no be worth
discussing on a case by case basis, I guess any decoder/reader is very
welcome! I have no idea if it would be better in the long run to include
the library statically in the reader or not (self containment -> easier
install, less chance for unexpected mess ups), but this is just a detail.

BTW. If you are now aquainted with readers/decoders in Haiku, are you
interested in bringing our support for the Matroska (MKV) container up to
date? And we desperately need *something* to decode h.264. :-)

Thanks a lot & Best regards,
-Stephan