[haiku-development] Re: Do we need a webstore for HaikuDepot to replace HaikuWare?

  • From: Stephan Aßmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 02 May 2015 10:38:47 +0200

(https://dev.haiku-os.org/ticket/11774), but I have been asked to
> > post the idea on here for critique.
>
> This is a queston for the users, not the developers. Please use the
haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> list.

This question was mostly aimed at HaikuDepot Desktop developers as minor
changes would be required for this (although not as many as I initially
thought if the URI scheme hpkg://exampleapp is already partially
implemented).

I will forward my initial message to the general mailing list, although
I doubt it will be of interest to anyone who hasn't already seen it on
this mailing list.

Maybe I don't quite understand your vision yet. With HaikuDepot Server, we wanted a system where anyone could become involved. Not only with providing package translations and screenshots and that stuff, but also with quality management. Eventually, there could be staged repositories (bleeding edge, testing, stable) and packages would transition between these repositories based on some form of user feedback/stability rating.

I'm afraid that by creating a parallel effort to HaikuDepot Server, there will be a barrier to getting involved (users stay consumers).

Instead, what we need is more people working on HaikuDepot Server, so that it becomes everything we want it to be.

Best regards,
-Stephan