[haiku-development] Re: Disruptor Pattern

  • From: Andrew Hudson <hudsonco1@xxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2012 10:53:15 -0400 (EDT)

> I wanted to share a find I stumbled upon recently.
> It's the "disruptor pattern" [1] which was open-sourced last year
> titled "High performance alternative to bounded queues for
> exchanging data between concurrent threads" [2].
> Although my knowledge on concurrency is very limited,
> the descriptions of this pattern sound to me like a break-through for
> heavy multi-core, multi-threaded applications.
> Basically, the inventors came up with an idea to avoid thread-locking
> mostly.
>
> Isn't that of some value to Haiku?
> (Don't bash me if it's not..)
>
> [1] https://code.google.com/p/disruptor/
> [2] http://disruptor.googlecode.com/files/Disruptor-1.0.pdf

Just forgot to mention that there is a C++ port of it.
http://www.2robots.com/2011/08/13/a-c-disruptor/
It uses boost internally, which may or may not be an issue.

Regards,
  Juergen

Thanks, this is interesting. Some of us are looking in to ways of doing
better with multi-core, multi-threaded apps on Haiku.

And regarding boost. I would be interested to hear from anyone who has
successfully used a recent built.

- Andrew