[haiku-development] Re: Discussing GSoC 2015 Ideas

  • From: Augustin Cavalier <waddlesplash@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2015 17:09:42 -0500

On Sun, Jan 25, 2015 at 4:44 PM, Andrew Hudson <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> I think Haiku 64-bit apps are absolutely perfect for GSOC and there are
> several ways to approach them. Each applicant accepted could start with a
> porting basic app,
> there are a number that Scott has listed in Haiku Ports. The student could
> start with one app, get it ported to Haiku B1, build a recipe, get it on
> HaikuDepot, do
> the same for Haiku 64-bit. And then start their project as a whole. Some
> students might just want to work on ports all summer. If they ported one or
> two apps a week,
> that would be amazing, and also excellent GSOC experience. Can you imagine
> the benefit to the Haiku community as a whole? That's a huge benefit to
> the Haiku community as a whole.

As I said before, this is not hard at all, and does not consume much time.
As a "community bonding" task yes, as a real project no.

>  Regarding Blender - I don't think it only does what you think it only
> does. Yes, it has a hardware acceleration part to it, but with multiple,
> modern CPU's
> it could render simple scenes in real time, complex scenes in near real
> time. What Blender for Haiku could use is a Haiku-specific viewing layer
> that would
> render directly to the display buffer in a video card.

BGLView can be used in a BDirectWindow, yes. However, no, simple scenes
would be stuck probably at 30fps, with complex scenes dropping to <1fps. My
brother uses Blender extensively on Windows with a mid-line graphics card,
and sometimes it'll drop below 30fps. In animation (~50% of Blender users),
anything less than 30fps is no good as you can't accurately judge what the
rendered version will look like.

>  POV RAY is a very sophisticated rendering environment. POV RAY could
> also have a Haiku-specific viewing layer for real time viewing. It would
> also be
> totally amazing to have a modeling environment ported and optimized for
> Haiku. And again, some Haiku-specific content for rendering. This would be
> a totally awesome GSOC project.

A GUI for POV-RAY? There are already Qt ones, but I don't think POV-RAY is
so important to have a native GUI. At least not as important as a Blender
port would be.

>  Handbrake - as was mentioned previously, it can and should be ported to
> Haiku. If it is not a huge project we add some additional tasks. Such as
> optimize
> some of the codecs, do some benchmarking, add a Haiku-specific viewing
> layer, port it to Haiku 64-bit, build a recipe, add to HaikuDepot.

"Haiku-specific viewing layer"? You keep using that phrase. I do not think
it means what you think it means.

>  Regarding Minecraft. Minecraft is written in Java, and uses the
> Lightweight Java Games Library 3. This is open source. Minecraft runs on
> Ubuntu without any
> other libraries. If it does require a proprietary library, and I'm not
> convinced it does, there's nothing stopping us from requesting a port of
> any proprietary libraries. I am happy to assist with this.

Well, I can look at porting it. I can't imagine it's a GSOC project's worth
of work.

>  Regarding Whisper BeNet. The GSOC project would focus on 1) getting the
> existing code ported to Haiku.

Already works. It took me all of 15 minutes to get it working.

> 2) adapting it to a better client/server model

Why? How?

> 3) updating the codecs for
> modern broadband, testing over different networking conditions. This is be
> a totally awesome GSOC project, and would be a super nova on someone's
> resume. Pure GSOC gold.

And who would mentor this? Who is around that has a lot of knowledge of the
codebase?

>  Regarding IPv6. IPv6 is so much more than just a kernel module. I would
> recommend that you take a college level networking class before weighing in
> on this topic.

I know what IPv6 is, thank you very much.

> Here is a link to some apps that could be ported and/or tested as part of
> Haiku's IPv6 adoption and compatibility:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_IPv6_application_support
> This could easily be a graduate level project. Again, this would be
> incredible on someone's resume and would a huge benefit to the Haiku
> community.

Not really. As mentioned in Adrien's progress reports, IPv6 is really just
missing proper DNS resolution, which he's working on. Other than that, it's
already complete.

-Augustin