[haiku-development] Re: Discussing GSoC 2015 Ideas

  • From: "Andrew Hudson" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "hudsonco1@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2015 16:44:06 -0500

Hi Augustin,

Thanks for your comments. I'll try to address some misconceptions in them.

I think Haiku 64-bit apps are absolutely perfect for GSOC and there are several
ways to approach them. Each applicant accepted could start with a porting basic
app,
there are a number that Scott has listed in Haiku Ports. The student could
start with one app, get it ported to Haiku B1, build a recipe, get it on
HaikuDepot, do
the same for Haiku 64-bit. And then start their project as a whole. Some
students might just want to work on ports all summer. If they ported one or two
apps a week,
that would be amazing, and also excellent GSOC experience. Can you imagine the
benefit to the Haiku community as a whole? That's a huge benefit to the Haiku
community as a whole.

Regarding Blender - I don't think it only does what you think it only does.
Yes, it has a hardware acceleration part to it, but with multiple, modern CPU's
it could render simple scenes in real time, complex scenes in near real time.
What Blender for Haiku could use is a Haiku-specific viewing layer that would
render directly to the display buffer in a video card. This does not exist now.
It would also be nice to have some Haiku-specific rendering content. Something
more than a teapot :-)

POV RAY is a very sophisticated rendering environment. POV RAY could also have
a Haiku-specific viewing layer for real time viewing. It would also be
totally amazing to have a modeling environment ported and optimized for Haiku.
And again, some Haiku-specific content for rendering. This would be
a totally awesome GSOC project.

Handbrake - as was mentioned previously, it can and should be ported to Haiku.
If it is not a huge project we add some additional tasks. Such as optimize
some of the codecs, do some benchmarking, add a Haiku-specific viewing layer,
port it to Haiku 64-bit, build a recipe, add to HaikuDepot.

Regarding Minecraft. Minecraft is written in Java, and uses the Lightweight
Java Games Library 3. This is open source. Minecraft runs on Ubuntu without any
other libraries. If it does require a proprietary library, and I'm not
convinced it does, there's nothing stopping us from requesting a port of any
proprietary libraries. I am happy to assist with this.

Regarding Whisper BeNet. The GSOC project would focus on 1) getting the
existing code ported to Haiku. 2) adapting it to a better client/server model
3) updating the codecs for
modern broadband, testing over different networking conditions. This is be a
totally awesome GSOC project, and would be a super nova on someone's resume.
Pure GSOC gold.

Regarding IPv6. IPv6 is so much more than just a kernel module. I would
recommend that you take a college level networking class before weighing in on
this topic.
Here is a link to some apps that could be ported and/or tested as part of
Haiku's IPv6 adoption and compatibility:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_IPv6_application_support
This could easily be a graduate level project. Again, this would be incredible
on someone's resume and would a huge benefit to the Haiku community.

Thanks,
Andrew