[haiku-development] Re: Disabling Strict Aliasing for GCC4 Builds

  • From: "Michael Lotz" <mmlr@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2008 10:39:53 +0200

Hi Ingo

> On 2008-04-18 at 23:06:10 [+0200], Michael Lotz <mmlr@xxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
> [...]
> > In any case it would be nice if we could update our GCC4 cross-
> > compiler, but I assume that Ingo is going to do that anyway when he
> > does the native Haiku port? The current GCC4 is GCC 4.3.0 from
> > 20080305
> > BTW.
>
> That's my plan anyway. It will be a while until I'm there, though.
>
> Nice research, BTW. I'd say, just add the flags that disable the
> problematic
> optimizations to BuildSetup (with a TODO ideally). Or are there
> reasons to
> hold them back yet?

I'll wait for feedback from Rene to see if I need to further look into
it. If "-fno-tree-vrp" is enough then I'll go ahead and add that with
the TODO about retesting/removing after updating the cross-compiler.
It's only an optimization we're missing, so there's no real hurry to
get the compiler updated.

Regards
Michael