[haiku-development] Device file for COM1?

  • From: Michael Crawford <mdcrawford@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2009 22:56:22 -0800

I'm trying to enable serial debug output, but I'm not having much luck.

I'm not completely sure that my cables are set up correctly.  What I'd
like to do to help diagnose this is send some data out my serial port
from Haiku, while I'm booted into the desktop.

I looked around the /dev directory for the serial device file.  There
is /dev/pt and /dev/tt, but my impression is that those devices are
for pseudo-ttys for use by Terminal.  I need the device for the
physical serial port.  I googled around and searched the list
archives, but I couldn't find it anywhere - that would be a good thing
to document on the Haiku website.

I looked at the Haiku source code.  If I'm reading it correctly, I
should have a /dev/ports/pc_serial directory - but I don't.

My Haiku box has an Intel Desktop Motherboard, which has an internal
header for serial but no external connector.  Today I bought what I
hope is the correct cable, to bring the signal from the header out to
a DB9 connector.  The cable was labeled IDC 10/DB9 Male.  Is that the
right cable?  It was the only cable that Frys had that looked like it
had the right kinds of connectors on it.

Thanks for your help,

Mike
--
Michael David Crawford