[haiku-development] Re: Developing in kernel code - advice needed

  • From: André Braga <meianoite@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 5 Dec 2009 15:05:10 -0200

Em 05/12/2009, às 13:24, Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx> escreveu:
You seem to be under the incorrect assumption that we primarily want a fair
scheduler. [...] If a fair scheduler does achieve that --
great! I wouldn't ignore other algorithms, just because they aren't fair.

Not quite... Notice that what I said was a follow-up to what Mikhail wrote:

"I know about bit operations and if you have seen fair scheduler there is pow2 which is implemented without resorting to _factorOf array"

Where he mentions a weighting factor used on a fair scheduler that is calculated using pow. Were it a different approach I'd have no issues with that (other than the fact that I did try this approach outside of the fair algorithm context, and I didn't like the outcome. Anyway, he might succeed in doing it on a better way, so I didn't criticise *that*. Only the use of exponential decays inside a fair scheduler.

Cheers,
A.