[haiku-development] Re: Developer Virtual Machine

  • From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 16 May 2010 10:41:20 +0300

On 05/15/2010 07:40 PM, Karl vom Dorff wrote:
I find the disk images released by Haiku a little restrictive by their
default size (having only a couple hundred megabytes to play with). The
included blank 2gb disk image is nice, but why not just make one image
with a default size of 10-20gb? I created a blank 20gb VMDK expanding
disk; size = 3.8 mb.

In the past, I downloaded the VMWare image of the previous alpha of Haiku in order to see if I can port an application I'm maintaining to this OS. After I was unable to install the needed development tools because of lack of disk space (45MB free :-/). So I gave it up.

Recently I saw that alpha 2 was released. I was hoping that it will address the problem of free disk space. It's impossible to install this, for example:

  http://qt-haiku.ru

I don't use Haiku myself, but I believe it's a good idea for developers to port their applications to it. Would you consider providing a VM image that has a sane amount of free space (like 500MB or such) available on the first HD? The second HD included with the VM is not really useful for this; development tools need to be installed on the first disk it seems.