[haiku-development] Re: Deskbar feature patch

  • From: Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2014 22:54:19 +0100

On 01/27/2014 09:30 PM, looncraz wrote:
> Excellent, I was thinking the general feeling would be otherwise, but [...]

Well, that was only my opinion, anyway :-)

Finally, though, I don't think cutting off the path makes a lot of sense.
Why not just set the titles to B_TRUNCATE_END instead?
Wouldn't that remove everything from the end of the string?  That is the
opposite of what I want.  I only want to see the file name... though, it
would make even more sense to detect the presence of a path, then
truncate the beginning of the string, so that some of the path could
possibly be preserved.

Hm, you got me there :-)
I think the most useful solution would probably be B_TRUNCATE_MIDDLE as that also works fine for other non-path titles. For path names, it makes you able to distinguish to files with the same name when they are in different folders.

I'm not sure about a slider, I would welcome being able to just change
the window size, though, using ctrl+alt+right mouse button.
Ooh... I like that!  Maybe even allow some vertical resizing... looking
at the code, it might be a bit tricky, but certainly doable...

Vertical resizing would only be doable by changing the icon size. I'm not sure this would be something desirable in all cases.

John Scipione wrote:
> Please don't implement that suggestion, ctrl+alt+secondary mouse
> button drag is not the way to go. I know we do it for windows, but, we
> shouldn't.

That's obviously just your opinion: ctrl+alt+right mouse button is how we resize windows in Haiku conveniently. I don't quite see why we shouldn't unless there is a better solution; I haven't seen one yet.

But you have a point: this is a power user feature, so maybe the slider is also a good idea to have in the Deskbar preferences, after all.

Bye,
   Axel.