[haiku-development] Re: Deskbar feature patch

  • From: John Scipione <jscipione@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2014 16:06:28 -0500

On Wed, Jan 29, 2014 at 11:39 AM, Humdinger <humdingerb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 28 January 2014 02:24, looncraz <looncraz@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> I was thinking about how to do it considering the layout of the menu and
>> thought the best way would be to duplicate the grabber in the status view
>> area such that there is one on both sides.  The one away from the screen
>> edge will resize the status view area.
>
> Resizing the Deskbar window like every other window via
> CTRL+ALT+right-drag is consistent. Additionally, a width setting under
> "Window" in the Deskbar preferences would be nice and also improves
> discoverablity. Maybe not with a slider, but a text box (plus spinner
> widget, once it's available. (also add a spinner to the Recent...
> entries in the "Menu" settings there)).

Well, I guess I'm gonna lose this battle again. sigh. I wish I could
get through to you guys how user-hostile this is. I like the
functionality of the feature, yet dragging with the secondary mouse
button is mechanically awkward among other problems.

I don't understand why not a slider? A textbox doesn't seem
appropriate since you don't really care about the the exact number of
pixels wide the Deskbar is, just that is a nice width on screen. a
slider is better for this IMHO since it allows you to ignore the
numbers.

> WRT to a second knobbly widget to the left of the tray, it takes quite
> some aiming. More so as there's no screen edge to guide the mouse as
> with the moving-knobblies to the right (in standard mode). It'd be
> easily overlooked and may even eat some space from the tray.

The knob widget is not great for this, it's a bit small, and only
works on the screen edge due to the Fitt's Law size rule.