[haiku-development] Re: Deskbar Enhancements

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2011 20:08:42 +0200

Stephan Aßmus <superstippi@xxxxxx> wrote:
> This is the
> reason why I utterly fail to understand why people turn on the auto-
> hide
> features present in Windows or Mac OS X.

The reason is rather simple: it saves real screen estate. If that
sacrifices its use, it's not a real improvement, though :-)
You can compare this with a menu, though. It allows you to memorize the
locations of its functions, too, but that obviously stops working once
the contents are dynamic. That's why Deskbar's window menu isn't that
nice to be used.

I'm not really a fan of hiding either, but I played with the idea in
the Switcher app that is in our repository that is supposed to provide
all kinds of panels with useful functionality on it. I think it works
for some content (like a workspaces view, or a calculator), but other
things probably would benefit from a "make sticky" button.

Bye,
   Axel.