[haiku-development] Re: Design for signed packages

  • From: Ari Haviv <arielbhaviv@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2014 10:11:43 -0400

On Thu, Mar 27, 2014 at 8:28 AM, Jonathan Schleifer <
js-haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I deleted the branch now as people are clearly offended by even only
> having the minimum level of security that even Windows offers since Windows
> XP (optionally signed executables, optionally signed drivers, signed
> updates) - and that was introduced 14 years ago - and prefer to repeat the
> security disaster of Windows 98. Users wouldn't even have noticed that
> packages are signed unless they installed a hpkg from a 3rd party without
> using a repository, but clearly, people feel offended by even the thought
> that there is cryptography involved that makes sure that the updates you
> install are actually from the vendor...
>
> So, the branch is gone and we can drop this thread now.
>
> --
> Jonathan

People will always disagree with certain changes, with extra emotional
rhetoric to make their point (the supposedly purely rational technical
world is full of drama; it's just not very artistic). You may also have a
problem with someone else's idea down the road. The key is not to take it
so personally with real and permanent consequences.