[haiku-development] Re: Desbar patch

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2007 11:18:23 +0200 CEST

Hi Julun,

Julun <HOST.HAIKU@xxxxxx> wrote:
> >  (besides I don't really think that this has any
> > use for the end user at all).
> This is a mater of taste anyway.

It might be, but I think 95% of our eventual user base don't even know
what the ISO date is. It's not a part of your actual life, and I
wouldn't put a prominent setting anywhere to activate it.

> Let's take for example the recently added auto rise feature, for me
> it
> was totally annoying that while accidentally moving the mouse to fast
> away from my app ending over the Deskbar it would bring it up and
> steeling my window the focus without being able to get it back. And
> even
> more annoying was that i didn't know why it happened at all.

Auto-Rise is a practical feature, but I agree that the way I
implemented it can often be annoying - also with focus-follows-mouse,
BTW :-)
There is even an open bug about this (http://dev.haiku-os.org/ticket/1471).

> So IOW i don't think it should have been implemented Deskbar specific
> or
> at least it should be off by default. But as i said, this is all a
> mater
> of taste.

The way it's implemented now, it should be turned off by default indeed
- I hope that it's possible to make it more useful to everyone, and
then it can be the default again.

> > Instead, the time preferences should
> > contain a short and long date format string that applications may
> > use.
> This would not solve the problem that on app start it has to query
> something or read it from some settings to get the proper time and
> date
> format.

Where is the actual problem? IMO that's just how it should work.
Tracker and Deskbar will read that file, Time will maintain it. Is
there any specific reason why you don't like that solution?

> > I also don't like saving those in different places too much.
> It is reusing what's there and Tracker and Deskbar have there own
> settings for the same thing anyway.

They have because they allow different settings for those things,
anyway - it's of course silly, but that's what you get when you leave
development to an all American company (which is only responsible for
not taking locale issues into account, the actual settings were added
after open sourcing those apps, IIRC).

> So maybe it would make much more sense to wait with such settings
> until
> the locale system is place and implement it then properly.

I'm not sure about that; I would certainly agree if we had that much of
the locale kit ready for R1, but if we don't (and that's not unlikely),
it would be nice to have a central mechanism for that.

> Please don't get me wrong, don't see it as a personal offense or an
> defiant, childish reaction that i will revert the settings changes,
> but
> it's not worth to spend a lot of time on such a small feature while
> there are plenty more important things to do.

I think that every detail of the end product is pretty important,
anyway.

Bye,
   Axel.